Date:      Tue, 7 Dec 1999 16:45:59 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Stephen Roome <steveroo@mothra.bri.hp.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   bloated rpc.statd

rpc.statd appears to get quite large, does anyone else have this, or is it some
curious problem only I get ?

[[ Output from "uname -a" : ]]

FreeBSD moose.bri.hp.com 3.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 3.2-RELEASE #0: Fri Oct 22
14:49:19 BST 1999     steve@sse0691.bri.hp.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/MOOSE  i386

----

[[ Output from "ps axug | egrep -e stat -e USER" : ]]

USER     PID %CPU %MEM   VSZ  RSS  TT  STAT STARTED      TIME COMMAND
root   41712  0.0  0.0 262976    8  ??  Is   30Nov99   0:00.00 rpc.statd

----

Now, I've only got 80Mb of memory, so the following output from swapinfo
confuses things :

[[ Output from "swapinfo -k" : ]]

Device      1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Type
/dev/wd0s1b    131072     7624   123320     6%    Interleaved

So, I guess the question is, where is this 256Mb of memory that's being used by
rpc.statd, or is it not really used ? Also, if I restart it, it grows that big
instantly, so, do I just not need to worry about it, or can someone explain
what this means ?

Thanks for any help in advance,

	Steve Roome

P.S. I can supply more information if needed, but I expect that this is normal
and I've missed something obvious!