Date:      Tue, 11 Jan 2000 23:37:17 GMT
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@nojunk.com>
To:        Rick Knebel <rknebel@uplink.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: apsfilter

On 1/11/00, 11:21:45 PM, Rick Knebel <rknebel@uplink.net> wrote
regarding apsfilter:

> Hi,

> I am trying to set up apsfilter in 3.4 for my epson Stylus color 740.
> I have done this before with previous versions of freebsd without
> difficulties. After setup when I try to print I get this message.

> Cannot execv /usr/local/apsfilter/filter/aps-stcolor-auto-color

> When I looked in this directory the filters are

> aps-stcolor-mono-auto-color

> I tried rerunning setup a couple of time but without good results.

> Does this make sense to anyone.

> Thanks
> Rick

> Rick Knebel
> rknebel@uplink.net

Dear Rick Knebel,

I run 3.3-Release and I set up apsfilter for my Epson Stylus Color 800
a couple of months ago.

Apsfilter messed up a few things during the setup process.
However,this required just a little "housekeeping" work ;-)

I specified /var/spool/output/lpd as my spool directory, which is NOT
apsfilter default (/var/spool/lpd), and I noticed something wrong.

Apsfilter operated as if I had specified /var/spool/lpd. I checked
/etc/printcap: it contained references to /var/spool/lpd; moreover,
the apsfilter stuff had also been put in /var/spool/lpd ...  and you
can guess the trivial workaround: all the references in /etc/printcap
must be coherent with apsfilter stuff.

E.g. if you also chose /var/spool/output/lpd, then
make sure that the references in /etc/printcap correctly point at
/var/spool/output/lpd, and move all the stuff in /var/spool/lpd to
/var/spool/output/lpd.

The uniprint driver is more recent than the stcolor.
Please have a look at it: it might work better.

If things have not significantly changed in the meanwhile, this
information might be relevant.

Best regards,
Salvo

N.B. myjokingdomain =3D=3D=3D> neomedia.it to e-mail to me.

  * Windows: brain-dead limits  *
  * BeOS: limited apps          *
  * Linux: unlimited (mindset)  *
  * FreeBSD: no limits          *