Date:      Wed, 24 Jul 2002 21:48:43 -0400
From:      "Dave [Hawk-Systems]" <dave@hawk-systems.com>
To:        "Clint Wilson" <clint@kconline.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Livingston Radius

>> Personally I'd go with another radius server if you can as (for a
>start)
>> I believe Livingston radius isn't being maintained, and it's not very
>> expandable or modular compared to some other ones around nowadays.
>> (I know this from experience I had when I had to add features to the
>> code for a past employer, it wasn't fun :)
>
>Unfortunately I have no other choice but to learn Livingston it is what
>the ISP I work for is using. I am just trying to learn it to make myself
>more of an asset to my company.
>
>~Clint

at the risk of opening a can of worms, that like saying stick with BIND rather
than streamline your ISP's DNS with DJBDNS or stick with sendmail rather than
moving on to Qmail

As far as "Livingston" radius...  good luck getting anything complete and
current.  As mentioned, it isn't maintained anymore, not in an organized sense
anyway.  Perhaps pick one of the other packages and get a general gist for
clients and users files since most if not all come from the same set of RFC's
and are reasonably similar in the basic functions.  IMO anyway.

Cheers,

Dave

Disclaimer;
lots of arguments in both camps on the DNS and MAIL issues.  the statement is
meant to be more of an "outside the box" statement than recommendation of DJB's
software, or implying that BIND and sendmail are disfunctional in any way...
flame war I am not about to get into.  I am not a DJB fanatic, though I do find
his stuff works and makes sense for my particular applications, and personally
would NEVER go back to BIND or sendmail. YMMV