Date:      Wed, 7 Jul 1999 23:40:31 +0900
From:      "Richard G. Roberto" <robertor@typhoon.co.jp>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   debug kernel having symbol problems after stripping?

High,

I followed the handbook section on building a debug kernel and
stripped it with strip -x (the web version of the handbook suggests
-x, my local version says -d but that option is not available
according to man).  So far the system runs OK, but vmstat gags saying:

vmstat: undefined symbols:
 _kmemstatistics _bucket=20

I checked the unstripped version and these symbols (sans leading "_")
are there (same as the GENERIC kernel shipped on CD), but they aren't
in the stripped version.  As I can't seem to get my system to crash
with this kernel, I may just rebuild a non-debug kernel and see how
it goes, but I'm still curious as to what happened.  What's the
safest way to strip the kernel, or isn't there one?

Thanks in advance,

Richard

--=20

Richard G. Roberto