Date:      Wed, 26 Nov 1997 17:07:50 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        spork <spork@super-g.com>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, francisco@federation.addy.com, FreeBSd Chat list <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Help me reply to Infoworld correspondent: what is diff between BSDI and FreeBSD?

On Wed, Nov 26, 1997 at 01:23:36AM -0500, spork wrote:

>>> In many regards, enormously.

>>> (much good stuff about the difference between free and commercial
>>> omitted)
>>
>> Agreed, but that's not the point Francisco (or Eric) was making.
>> What's the technical difference?
>>
>> This is probably flame bait, but I'd say "not much".  Recall that as a
>> normal user (not buyer), you're interested neither in the way the
>> software is devloped and distributed, nor in implementation details.
>> And BSD/OS is close enough in feel to FreeBSD that I've mistaken one
>> for the other on my own network from time to time.
>>
>> Still, it's oversimplifying things to say that BSD/OS is a commercial
>> version of FreeBSD.  Those days are, indeed, past.  IMO the days are
>> also past when BSD/OS was obviously better than FreeBSD.
>
> There was also a rather insulting article in LanTimes about a month ago.
> The people did just not have a clue.  It was an "introduction" about how
> one could stick a dirty little Unix box in the corner to grab mail and do
> "intranet" tasks in your NT shop.  Most of it focused on Linux, and they
> repeatedly made the mistake of calling BSDi "BSD".

Never aassign to malice that which can be adequately explained by
stupidity.  I don't think many of these people mean to belittle BSD
variants, they just haven't done their homework.  I seem to recall
this Peggy King woman's name in that connection.

BTW, why do so many people on this list write BSDi instead of BSDI?
It's certainly not what they call themselves.

Greg