Date:      Sun, 16 Mar 2003 17:24:35 +0100
From:      Simon Barner <barner@in.tum.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Too many collisions on network?

--FL5UXtIhxfXey3p5

> root@charon:/root# ifconfig -m fxp0
> fxp0: flags=3D8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
>         inet xxx.xxx.191.100 netmask 0xfffffff0 broadcast xxx.xxx.191.111
>         inet xxx.xxx.191.101 netmask 0xffffffff broadcast xxx.xxx.191.101
>         ether 00:e0:81:23:c5:32
>         media: Ethernet autoselect (10baseT/UTP)
>         status: active
>         supported media:
>                 media autoselect
>                 media 100baseTX mediaopt full-duplex
>                 media 100baseTX
>                 media 10baseT/UTP mediaopt full-duplex
>                 media 10baseT/UTP
>                 media 100baseTX mediaopt hw-loopback
>=20
> It seems that fxp(4) supports full-duplex but that it is currently=20
> disabled, and I guess this is because the other end of the wire doesn't
> support it, since the media has been autoselected?

Yes, it seems to be running in half-duplex mode. Even if you are connected =
to a
switch that supports full-duplex (which seems not to be the case since
auto-negotiation selected h-d), this setting is fine since full-duplex won't
bring you a huge performance gain in most of the situations.

> I wouldn't be too eager to do tests with this setting since this is a
> production server and I have no direct physical access to it, so shutting
> down the only interface by mistake is *not* an option ;-)

I understand that :-)

> But if I was to change it, how would I go about this without shutting down
> fxp0? 'ifconfig fxp0 media 10baseT/UTP mediaopt full-duplex' ??

Yes, but I have never done that remotely (my FreeBSD machine is just under =
my
desk :-) Don't know whether this works over an ssh connection for example. =
I am
sure somebody else from the list has more experience in this regard ...

Simon

--FL5UXtIhxfXey3p5

--FL5UXtIhxfXey3p5--