Date:      Wed, 10 Aug 2022 23:31:49 +0200
From:      Santiago Martinez <sm@codenetworks.net>
To:        Benoit Chesneau <benoitc@enki-multimedia.eu>, "freebsd-net@FreeBSD.org" <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.org>, Michael Dexter <editor@callfortesting.org>
Subject:   Re: 25/100 G performance on freebsd

--------------IvnK3XSODuPD2kDJF5WJSL5G

Hi Benoit, sorry to hear that the SR-IOV still not working on your HW.

Have you tested the last patch from Intel?

Regarding Bhyve, you can use Vale switches (based on netmap).
On my machines, i get around ~33Gbps between VM (same local machine),
sometimes going towards 40Gbps... ( These are basic tests with iperf3
and TSO/LRO enabled).

@Michael Dexter is working on a document that contains configuration
examples and test results for the different network backend available in
bhyve.

If you need help, let me know and we can set up a call.
Take care.
Santi

On 8/8/22 08:57, Benoit Chesneau wrote:
> For some reasons. I can’t use SR-IOV on my freebsd machines  (HPE
> DL160 gen10) with latest 25G HPE branded cards. I opened tickets for
> that but since then no move happened.
>
> So I wonder id there is a good setup to use these cards with the
> virtualization. Which kind of performance should I expect using
> if_bridge? What if i am doing L3 routing instead using epair or tap
> (for bhyve). Would it work better?
>
> Any hint is welcome,
>
> Benoît

--------------IvnK3XSODuPD2kDJF5WJSL5G

  <head>
  </head>
    Hi Benoit, sorry to hear that the SR-IOV still not working on your
    HW. <br>
    Have you tested the last patch from Intel? <br>
    Regarding Bhyve, you can use Vale switches (based on netmap). <br>
    On my machines, i get around ~33Gbps between VM (same local
    machine), sometimes going towards 40Gbps... ( These are basic tests
    with iperf3 and TSO/LRO enabled).<br>
    @Michael Dexter is working on a document that contains configuration
    examples and test results for the different network backend
    available in bhyve.<br>
    If you need help, let me know and we can set up a call.<br>
    Take care.<br>
    Santi
cite="mid:PK-t3XGZbrHHDgmV_l5kcpPk_2vXVFRijVzpcBtEJd3UWc3iFs7ygJKiHXFAVTaWg5botdaiI85UJdmjxKV268xTH-xf89igEf7axDGqYmc=@enki-multimedia.eu">
        freebsd machines  (HPE DL160 gen10) with latest 25G HPE branded
        cards. I opened tickets for that but since then no move
        happened.</div>
        the virtualization. Which kind of performance should I expect
        using if_bridge? What if i am doing L3 routing instead using
        epair or tap (for bhyve). Would it work better?</div>

--------------IvnK3XSODuPD2kDJF5WJSL5G--