Date:      Tue, 21 Nov 1995 19:24:35 +1000
From:      Stephen Hocking <sysseh@devetir.qld.gov.au>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Cc:        sysseh@devetir.qld.gov.au
Subject:   Re: QIC-02 tape drive problemette

> 	[Patches deleted]
>
> I've got one of these beasts and have noticed that removing a tape at critical
> points in restore will reliably cause the machine to crash (While it's still
> open, just prior to closing & rewinding it). It also calls tsleep from within
> wtintr (actually nested withing a call to wtsense->wtpoll), a definite no-no,
> but wtintr is sometimes called (aaggh!) from the non-interrupt portions of the
> code to do some stuff, so one is never sure if it's legal to do the tsleep.

I managed to put in the patches, even though they needed a fair bit of massaging (although mt.c did not need patching) and also persuaded the code to do a DELAY instead of an tsleep when wtpoll was called from wtintr. This stopped the crashes but also caused the machine to lock up until the tape rewound. I'll look at reducing the sizes of the DELAY parameter and see if that makes any difference.

	Stephen
--

        I do not speak for the Worker's Compensation Board of Queensland -
                     They don't pay me enough for that!