Date:      Tue, 10 Jul 2012 22:11:51 -0500
From:      Brandon Gooch <jamesbrandongooch@gmail.com>
To:        Hiroki Sato <hrs@freebsd.org>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: "ifconfig create" breaks between r238227 - r238290?

On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 9:02 PM, Hiroki Sato <hrs@freebsd.org> wrote:
> David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org> wrote
>   in <20120709131957.GI1552@albert.catwhisker.org>:
>
> da> Just finished updating from r238227 to r238290 on the "head" slice of my
> da> laptop, and was unable to make use of the wlan(4) NIC; I captured the
> da> following via cut/paste from ttyv0:
> (snip)
> da>
> da> I glanced through the list of commits to head in that range, but
> da> didn't note anything glaringly obvious (yet).
> da>
> da> I hadn't tried a wired NIC on the laptop; I can, if there's anything
> da> likely to be of value in doing so.
>
>  Gr, it may be due to my change of r238279.  I am investigating it.
>
> -- Hiroki

The issue with wpa_supplicant failing is due to the wlan0 interface
being cloned from one of the new usbus/usbpf devices instead of the
actual wireless network device:

brandon@m6500[/home/brandon]
$ ifconfig -v wlan0
wlan0: flags=1<UP> metric 0 mtu 0
        nd6 options=29<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>
        groups: usbus

How this might be happening is strange to me, how can the system be
confused as to which interface to clone from? Off-by-one error
somewhere?

-Brandon