Date:      Tue, 6 Oct 1998 12:47:18 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org>
To:        Michael Richards <026809r@dragon.acadiau.ca>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Large packets?

On Tue, 6 Oct 1998, Michael Richards wrote:

> I have been following the discussion of negative IP addresses. Correct me if
> I am wrong, but isn't the largest possible packet 64K even after it's been
> re-assembled?

In theory. :)  The maximum size of an IP packet is indeed 64k, but some
implementations don't check that the fragments being reassembled actually
add up to the correct length, so they just past the fragments one after
another, off the end of the buffer, onto the floor.  Or rather, onto other
pieces of memory resulting in corruption.  My speculation about the
negative number being associated with size was based on this -- that
perhaps some careless programmer had accidentally used a signed short for
the size in their code, rather than an unsigned short.  Then any check
against the size field in the form if (size < somesize) would behave
incorrectly, because large packet sizes would be interpretted as small
ones.  Darren has suggested that I am confusing this with another attack,
and that is entirely possible. :)  The are an awful lot of mistakes an IP
stack programmer can make :).

  Robert N Watson

Carnegie Mellon University            http://www.cmu.edu/
TIS Labs at Network Associates, Inc.  http://www.tis.com/