Date:      Wed, 31 May 2000 11:18:49 -0400
From:      Christopher Petrilli <petrilli@amber.org>
To:        freebsd-ppc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD-ppc ideas

Richard.Brooksby@pobox.com [Richard.Brooksby@pobox.com] wrote:
> At 2000-05-30 20:05 -0400, Christopher A Shepherd wrote:
>
> >Haven't seen a lot of traffic on this list, but I'd like to add support to
> >the idea of porting FreeBSD over to the powerpc. To this end, a lot of work
> >has already been done for us (yes I know, we don't just want to recycle
> >code), specifically..
>
> Don't forget Apple Darwin OS
> <http://publicsource.apple.com/projects/darwin/>.  Presumably Apple
> know a lot about their own hardware and have written good drivers for
> it.

This brings up a point I haven't seen addressed---or I'm just not
looking enough.  What platforms are we intending to support.  One of
the reasons that LinuxPPC was able to get up and running without major
Apple information was that they restricted themselves to PCI
machines.  This is obviously one restriction.  The other would be do
we want to restrict ourselves to the same set of machines that Darwin
is basically restricted to (G3 and above, I believe).

As an Apple developer, it's killing some of your market, but... at
least initially it should enormously simplify the effort of getting
support running.

Chris