Date:      Thu, 17 Apr 1997 15:33:15 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Wes Peters - Softweyr LLC <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        ccsanady@nyx.pr.mcs.net (Chris Csanady)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Good asembly language books?

Chris Csanady asked:
> I was wondering if anyone could recommend and good books.  Particularly

	The Bible?  ;^)

> ones that are written with the AT&T syntax.  I know this isn't FreeBSD
> specific, but I would like to do some work on FreeBSD. :-)

_The C Porgramming Language_, Kernighan and Ritchie
_The C++ Programming Language_, Stroustroup

AT&T sytax?  Do you mean *assembler* books?  Urk!

The only x86 assembler book I've ever bought is _Programming the 80386_
published by Sybex.  If it's still in print, or has a 486 or Pentium
brother, it should hold up well.  That and the Intel (AMD, Cyrix, etc)
databooks will cover the information.

Why would you want to program a UNIX system in assembler?  Other than
tiny utility routines for device drivers?

If you want to learn about programming UNIX, I strongly recommend
_Advanced Programming in the UNIX Environment_, and _UNIX Network
Programming_, both by W. Richard Stevens.  Buy anything he writes, even
if its scribbled on the back of a napkin.  ;^)