Date:      Thu, 6 Mar 1997 09:13:10 -0700 (MST)
From:      Softweyr LLC <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        vitok@fasts.com (Victor Rotanov)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dos+freebsd network

> Is there any way to share freebsd directories as dos drives and vice
> versa?

Sure, there are two: NFS and SMB.

NFS is the classical UNIX approach to sharing files over a network;
every system has the ability to share files (NFS server) or mount
files from another system (NFS client).  The code is included in
FreeBSD, as it is with most UNIX systems, and works quite well.  For
DOS or Windows, you'll have to buy an NFS client, and NFS servers are
not generally availble, except for WinNT.

The other solution is SMB, also known as Microsoft LAN Manager or
"Windows file sharing."  Client and server are both included in Win95,
WinNT, and Windows for Wankers.  On the FreeBSD side, you'll need to
install Samba from the packages distribution, which will let your FreeBSD
machine become an SMB server.

You can also share printers over the network.  Samba includes printer
sharing in both directions, i.e. UNIX->PC and PC->UNIX; most PC NFS
solutions allow the PCs to use printers attached to the UNIX system.