Date:      Tue, 19 Jan 1999 11:29:55 -0800 (PST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@phone.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Backup strategy (Was: Large block size for very large files)

On Tue, 19 Jan 1999, Crist J. Clark wrote:
> I was trying to use a Jaz disk as a raw device for backup purposes. In
> the end, I found it more convenient to put a filesystem on it and pay
> the overhead cost in return for putting multiple dumps in multiple
> files (and then being able to gzip old dumps too! ;).

I thought about trying that - but decided against it for the reasons
you name, plus one more. With the stuff on a file system, I have the
option of dumping them off to a CDR for archival purposes.

What did you do for level 0s? Not multiple Jaz disks, certainly? I
dumped to a Jaz cartridge with a tape size set to just barely smaller
than a CD, then copied those to a CD. It makes level 0s painful, but
it's relatively cheap, and I'll be keeping them for a *long* time.

	<mike