Date:      Tue, 20 Dec 2011 17:50:13 GMT
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>
To:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: java/163456: [patch] java/openjdk6: build and distribute open timezone data (tzdata)

The following reply was made to PR java/163456; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>
To: Jason Helfman <jhelfman@experts-exchange.com>
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org, jilles@stack.nl, jkim@freebsd.org
Subject: Re: java/163456: [patch] java/openjdk6: build and distribute open
 timezone data (tzdata)
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 09:47:57 -0800

 G'day Jason,

 On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 10:39:04AM -0800, Jason Helfman wrote:
 > Timezone data hasn't been updated since 2010 in OpenJDK. This patch downloads open timezone data, uses the built java tool
 > javazic.jar to translate files so java may use them, and distributes into the correct location.
 >
 > Builds cleanly in Tinderbox => http://jgh.devio.us/files/logs/openjdk6-b24_1.log.gz
 >
 > This patch encapsulates the spirit of ports/161945, and potentially could be seen as a duplicate if compilefontconfig.jar
 > were copied into ${PREFIX}/openjdk6/jre/lib/

 Thanks for doing this!  I wonder if with a little more work we couldn't
 make this work for all of the JDK ports instead of having to reimplement
 it for openjdk7, jdk16, jdk15, diablo, etc.

 I.e., can we pull this out into a separate port that installs the
 appropriate zoneinfo files into somewhere like
 ${LOCALBASE}/share/java/zoneinfo and then symlink the zi directory in all
 of the jdk and jre ports to that directory.

 I haven't looked deeply into your change but I assume the biggest problem
 with this is that you need a JDK with javazic.jar already installed before
 you can process the raw zoneinfo files so we'd be creating a circular
 dependency.

 --
 Greg Lewis                          Email   : glewis@eyesbeyond.com
 Information Technology              FreeBSD : glewis@FreeBSD.org