Date:      Thu, 28 Aug 97 17:35:39 -0700
From:      "Studded" <Studded@dal.net>
To:        "Howard Lew" <hlew@www2.shoppersnet.com>
Cc:        "hardware@FreeBSD.ORG" <hardware@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Flashing BIOS (Was Q: K5 clock speeds)

On Thu, 28 Aug 1997 10:37:15 -0700 (PDT), Howard Lew wrote:

>Flash upgrades usually don't fail unless people flash it with the wrong
>version.  Then the motherboard is hosed and they need a replacement chip.
>Even though Award BIOS supposedly still let's use reflash it with their
>flash bios boot block and an ISA video card, I have never seen that work
>before.

	Even the wrong version is usually not fatal.  I had this exact
scenario happen (clueless techie on the phone told me to d/l the wrong
thing, "Oh, I'm so glad you called back!"  *grumble*) and there is a
jumper on my mb (dell-tweaked intel of long ago) that clears everything
out and gets you back to the factory defaults.  I just built a new box for
a good friend and the basically generic socket 7 mb had the same kind of
jumper, so I can't help thinking this is a pretty standard feature?

Doug

Do thou amend they face,
	and I'll amend my life.
-Shakespeare, "Henry V"