Date:      Fri, 04 Apr 1997 17:46:10 -0500
From:      dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   2.2.1R NFS and FTP load problem FOUND

Any of you who have chosen not to ignore my rantings of the past 2 days
might be aware that I couldn't get 2.2.1-RELEASE to load with an NFS
load. The symptoms that I was having was a complete system hang
during the transfers, at random points, but always rather quickly (usually
within the bin load). I tried both a dec chip PCI card (de driver) and
an old reliable ne2000 (ed driver) with identical results. I also tried 2
different PCs with 2 different types of hard drives...again identical results.

I then thought that NFS was broken, and shifted to FTP. I was surprised to
find that FTP had exactly the same problem; that is a random hang
during the transfer.

I then began thinking that it was the distribution diskette, and noticed
that a new one had been put up on April 3...so I tried it. Same result.

I then remembered that I had noticed that 2.2R was a bit clunky with
 8 meg of ram, so I popped in another 8 meg, and the problems
disappeared. So, it seems, ftp and nfs loads cant be done on at
8 meg system.

Now I know that RAM is cheap, but there's something wrong when
a system running no services crashes with 8 meg of ram during a
file transfer. There must be a hole somewhere....unfortunately its
pretty hard to monitor anything when booting from the install disk.

Well, its 5:30 on a Friday, and Im outta here...so I guess its not THAT
bad! :-)

Dennis