Date:      Wed, 25 Apr 2001 22:52:49 -0400
From:      Brian Dean <bsd@bsdhome.com>
To:        Sven Huster <sven.huster@mailsurf.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: diskless startup again

On Wed, Apr 25, 2001 at 11:00:04AM +0200, Sven Huster wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> 1.
> maybe it is after the release of FreeBSD-4.3 possible to think about the
> remaining mount_null in /etc/rc.diskless* again.
>
> the two solutions i see are:
> - seperate mount_mfs for /tmp
> - symlink /tmp to /var/tmp by default in the scripts

Well, minimally it should work out of the box in a standard FS layout.
The way it is, it doesn't, one has to make /tmp a symlink to somewhere
writable.

Perhaps, by default, a check to see if /tmp is a symlink, and if not,
keep it mounted within rc.diskless1 (or remount it within
rc.diskless2) as an MFS.  But if /tmp is a symlink, then we would just
assume that it points to somewhere writable.  Something like this
should suffice:

	if [ ! -h /tmp -o -n "$diskless_tmpmfs_size" ]; then
		if [ -z "$diskless_tmpmfs_size" ]; then
			diskless_tmpmfs_size=20480       # default size
		fi
		mount_mfs -s $diskless_tmpmfs_size -T qp120at dummy /tmp
	fi

That way, two simple cases are provide for in the default
configuration, /tmp could be symlinked to /var/tmp which is in a
memory filesystem, or /tmp could be it's own, custom-sized memory
filesystem.  If you need something different than that, well, that's
what the diskless_mount hook (default to rc.diskless2) is provided to
cover.

> 2.
> Another thing is that i want to run different local daemons
> depending on the machines (ip's or hostnames), or machine groups So
> what i thought is to add the same function as for /etc to
> /usr/local/etc, maybe which the enhancement of grouping machines in
> a config file.  This might be also useful for global config of
> "normal" machines, which then can be mirrored to all of them.

This is probably not such a good idea.  If you need to do anything
special, you should initialize "diskless_mount" to point to your
supplied replacement for rc.diskless2.  Everyone will want to do
things a little differently, which is why there is already an option
to change the default behaviour and supply your own custom script.
You could easily set up /usr/local/etc as an MFS at this point in the
boot and achieve what you want, just use rc.diskless2 as a starting
point and expand on it to meet your needs.

-Brian
--
Brian Dean
bsd@FreeBSD.org