Date:      Tue, 16 Apr 2002 21:50:58 +0200
From:      Ernst de Haan <znerd@FreeBSD.org>
To:        zach@neurosoft.org, lioux@FreeBSD.org, joshua@roughtrade.net
Cc:        java@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Using NEED_JAVAC in ports

Hi,

I'm sending you this email because I'm working on a change to bsd.java.mk
that will affect a port you're maintaining. More precisely:

lang/kawa
net/javadc
net/jift
net/spread

Is it okay if I make a small change to the Makefile of these ports? I would
like to add NEED_JAVAC=YES below the USE_JAVA=YES line. This should not
affect the working of the port.

The source of the problem is that currently Jikes is registered as a
dependency of ports that don't even need a Java compiler. The bsd.java.mk
file will be changed so that you need to set NEED_JAVAC to YES if you need
${JAVAC} to be set.

This change has already made its way into the documentation for bsd.java.mk.
See:

   http://www.metaverse.nl/~ernst/writing.html

Kind regards,

Ernst