Date:      Fri, 29 Nov 2002 15:55:27 +1100
From:      "Hugh Blandford" <hugh@island.net.au>
To:        "Peter Brezny" <peter@skyrunner.net>, "Jason Hunt" <leth@primus.ca>
Cc:        <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Freebsd as vlan trunk controller.

Hi Peter,

well hopefully this will be helpful.

Yes FreeBSD will be able to handle this.  You will definately be looking to
use 802.1q as ISL is a Cisco proprietary standard and requires special
hardware.  The 2924 will do this and 802.1q depending upon the software
version....

Doing VLAN trunking you will tell the switch which VLANs you want sent to
the port the FreeBSD computer is on (this might be all of them).

At the trunk end (FreeBSD computer) you will have a NIC.  This will be the
parent (will not have an IP address) and for each VLAN that you want to
connect to define a what is known as a sub-interface or a cloned interface.

On the interface front I believe that the fxp driver is supposed to be the
best for most things.

man vlan
man ifconfig

contain a lot of info for what you are trying to do, also there is a nice
article here:

http://www.arved.de/bsd/vlan_en.html

that should hopefully sort out all the syntax for you.

Regards,

Hugh