Date:      Fri, 11 May 2001 20:08:13 -0500
From:      Carroll Kong <damascus@home.com>
To:        Donn Miller <dmmiller@cvzoom.net>
Cc:        Lamont Granquist <lamont@scriptkiddie.org>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fat32 slower than dogshit?

At 07:26 PM 5/11/01 -0400, Donn Miller wrote:
>Lamont Granquist wrote:
> >
> > Well, i think it is, i'm actually not too sure exactly how fast dogshit is
> > in the first place.  But in doing a simple untar on a fat32 partition
> > using both 4-stable a couple days after release and a recently updated
> > 4-stable as of yesterday (5/10) it goes about 20-30 times slower than an
> > untar on a UFS partition.
>
>That sounds about right.  This is one of many reasons I don't run WinDOS
>anymore.

>with "unsubscribe freebsd-stable" in the body of the message

Actually, I think it has a lot to do with the way FreeBSD implemented the
mount_msdos or whatever.  I am a big unix fan myself, but I did these tests
a while back on 4.0 maybe or even 3.X on a multibooting box.  I was quite
shocked to see that for some odd reason, fat32 and fat16 writes would max
at around 400KB/sec as opposed to megabytes/sec (on UFS and EXT2FS).  Of
course rebooting into windows gave me back the write speeds of
megabytes/second, like any normal fs should.  Considering that Fat32 is so
featureless compared to UFS, it does not seem to make any sense that it is
slower.  (no multiple inodes, and such).  Oh yeah, these were on contiguous
files, so it was not really due to fragmentation.  The same files were
moved at much faster speeds.

-Carroll Kong