Date:      Tue, 12 Jun 2001 03:33:43 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Erik Rothwell <erothwell@callgtn.com>, "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Intuitive interface - was RE: vi

Erik Rothwell <erothwell@callgtn.com> types:
> By "realistically" I mean that programs should work in as close a manner
> as possible to everyday, real world axioms -- i.e. we should find
> things, files, menus, commands, etc. where we'd inherently expect to
> find them

The real world doesn't *have* files, menus or commands that deal with
them, so there is no place where one would "intuitively" expect to
find them. There is *no* real world training that would lead one to
expect them anywhere - only familiarity with other computer programs.

> if I put my pen down on the table, and walk away, chances are
> good that when I come back to the table my pen will still be there, in
> the same place -- rogue pen theives aside ;).

This is vaguely the concept of "focus of attention", which maintains
that you don't make anything happen except where the user is watching
for things to happen. I claim this is obviously a good idea. Most user
interfaces in comon use violate it. It also doesn't match the real
world very well, because things are always going on where you aren't
looking all the time.

> Therefore, for instance, directory structure is intuitive.

No, they aren't. They're just familiar, because they've been used on
computer systems for over three decades now.

> It's a good
> way classifying things, first, so it's more intuitive than.. say.. a
> single directory into which all files go.

It's more organized, certainly. More intuitive? I dunno - how many
people say "get me the files in the upper left-hand desk drawer"? Most
people want files based on some internal attribute - like what it
describes. A directory structure is better for those kinds of queries
because it allows more organization than a flat collection of files.

An interface that provides a real-world model - which the directories
full of files clearly are not - would be more "intuitive". It's not
clear it would be better.

> The intuitiveness of a program, I think, as well, is just a measure of
> how quickly and easily one can figure out a program simply by *using*
> it. If the menu options or commands required by a program make some
> logical sense -- determined by past experience, perhaps, or perhaps
> simply the over-all self-consistance of the program's UI -- and fall
> into the place you'd expect it -- the place you'd intuit it to be.

You've just described "consistent" and "familiar", respectively.
Neither of these has much to do with being "intuitive", though
being consistent is a good thing.

> A directory listing command "ls" and "dir" are both intuitive. More so,
> perhaps, is "list files" or selecting a folder, choosing File -> Open
> (ignoring the double-click, for now.)  from a set of menus. Listing a
> directory by typing "xaksaja" is less intuitive than any of these
> options, significantly.

No, it's just less *familiar*.  Just because someone familiar with
computers is unlikely to guess it - unless it happens to mean "list
files" in their native language - doesn't mean it's less intuitive.

> The other end of the spectrum would be something like... putting the
> command to save your work 25 levels down in a menu structure that starts
> with "Graphics Options" -- this is counterintuitive and plain bad UI
> design.

True. On the other hand - anything that isn't *immediately* visible is
bad UI design.

> So, I don't think the word intuitive as applied to user interfaces is
> strictly a misnomer for "easy" or "common" interfaces. You quickly
> understand what "intuitive" is when you see some truly unintuitive or
> counterintuitve user interfaces :)

I claim the Windows and Mac window managers are counterintuitive.
After all, who ever saw a piece of paper that had to be on top of
everything else on the desk before you could write on it? A lot of
people disagree with me. That's because these things aren't intuitive,
they are *familiar*. I'm familiar with one window managers behavior, a
lot of people are familiar with another one.

Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com> types:
> >Nevertheless, when you put something into a directory, leave the
> >directory, and come back -- the file is still there. (Evil h4x0rs or
> >user error, aside ;)). One step further -- the MacOS 9 Finder is a0
> >particularly good example of "spatial computing": when I open a folder,
> >put a file in it, close the folder, and return -- my document is not
> >only there, but in the same screen position in which I left it.
> >Things of this nature are "intuitive."
> I disagree - things of this nature are "obvious"

They're only obvious after you've explained them.

Interface design is a *science*. Interfaces have properties that make
them good or bad. You can measure how quickly people learn an
interface, how often they make mistakes, and how fast an interface is
after it's been learned. You can make hypothesis about how important
certain things - constency, focus of attention, and such like - are to
an interface, and then design experiments to test those hypothesis.

	<mike