Date:      Fri, 5 Mar 2004 17:42:26 -0500
From:      Tim Middleton <x@Vex.Net>
To:        python@freebsd.org
Cc:        Dima Dorfman <dd@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Python patch to install a shared library

On Friday 05 March 2004 05:18, Hye-Shik Chang wrote:
> Please test this patch on your platform:
>  http://people.freebsd.org/~perky/pyshared.diff

It's been quite a while since i tried BUILD_SHARED on a -CURRENT box (I had
problems with it last time I tried... quite a long time ago, if i recall
correctly). I always BUILD_SHARED on -STABLE boxes these days though, and it
works great.

I've built with this patch on the -CURRENT box i'm now typing on (ordinary
i386), and it appears to be working nicely so far. Looks good to me.

I wonder if the BUILD_SHARED knob should not be kept though. It seems this
patched port installs static as bin/python[2.3] ... along with
bin/python-shared[2.3]. But people who are used to BUILD_SHARED probably
won't expect bin/python now to be a non-shared version, which they then will
have to overwrite with the shared version manually.

Perhaps if BUILD_SHARED is specified then bin/python will be the shared
binary; and bin/python-static[2.3] would also be placed. But this is starting
to get confusing... maybe it should always install python-static and
python-shared ... and the knob just control which is copied to plain
bin/python.

Well, just my observations anyhow. Doesn't really matter to me.

Nice work.

--
Tim Middleton | Cain Gang Ltd | Then suddenly, for no apparent reason, the
x@veX.net     | www.Vex.Net   | unpittying orchestra struck up a polka. -D