Date:      Sun, 18 Jun 2000 10:44:42 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Otter <otterr@telocity.com>
To:        Max Calvo <max.calvo@maxcalvo.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: help with sound using cmi8330 and 4.0-release

Max,
One of my motherboards has the CMI8330 onboard. I put my device pcm before
sbc (not sure that it matters), did the MAKEDEV snd0, and it works
fine. One thing I did notice is that the default volume is low and
/usr/sbin/mixer doesn't access "vol". If you do a "/usr/sbin/mixer pcm
100" that should crank it up to it's maximum volume. I'm not impressed
with it, but it does work. Other cards will give you the "vol" option in
the mixer. You can also type "/usr/sbin/mixer" to see what your current
settings are. Any changes you make will not be saved when you reboot, so
if cranking up the pcm to 100 works, maybe you should make a bootup script
that does it for you every time you startup.
-Otter