Date:      Sat, 26 Jul 2008 00:01:26 +0100 (BST)
From:      thedurkins@thedurkins.force9.co.uk
To:        freebsd-i386@freebsd.org
Subject:   (no subject)

Hi all, I am trying to install a 320Gb hard drive on to an old PC running
FreeBSD 6.2. (Release #0)

The BIOS correctly picks up the drive as a slave IDE on boot-up and
correctly reports it’s size but I cannot mount it once the OS has booted
up. The errors flash past too quickly and do not appear to have been
logged anywhere in /var/log. But attempts to mount the drive always result
in failure and a system crash!  It looks like a pagefile error that’s
reported but hard to say as I can’t freeze the screen to get the full
message.

The drive is not blank so cannot be formatted. It is a Maxtor STM3320820A.
The PC is Pentium based 200Mhz (Yes it is that old!!) with 32 Mb Ram, the
mother board is a gigabyte gv-586atv.

I am at a bit of a loss and would really appreciate some thoughts from
anyone who’s been there before… I feel this should work but am I just
wasting my time?