Date:      Tue, 07 Dec 1999 18:47:11 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        "Rafael A. Reta Rodriguez" <rafareta@icave.com.mx>
Cc:        Joseph Scott <joseph.scott@owp.csus.edu>, "questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: syslog

On Tue, 07 Dec 1999 10:21:49 CST, "Rafael A. Reta Rodriguez" wrote:

> Yes, it exist, the problem was solved with Joseph Scott's solution

Really? :-) :-)

> by adding the !squid tag at the end of /etc/syslog.conf but now I get
> the messages in both files!

Yep, life's a bitch.  Without investigating more closely _which_
facility and level each of the kinds of messages you're getting are at,
and possibly recompiling squid, there's no easy way to have the
messages match one rule but not another in /etc/syslog.conf . :-(

> Is it posible to stop geting the squid log in /var/log/messages?

As I said, no easy way.  You could have a look at the squid sources and
try to figure out what facility and level it's using to log its errors.
Then, just change the facility and / or level for all its messages to
something that you _don't_ trap in /etc/syslog.conf except with your
!squid tag.

Ciao,
Sheldon.