Date:      Wed, 25 Aug 1999 00:45:34 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        dorian@lara.on.ca
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 3.2

dorian wrote,
> Hey. Does FreeBSD 3.2 from Walnut Creek come with the entire ports
> collection?

I assume you mean the distfiles. _Almost_ all do, but due to licensing
issues there might be a few that cannot be included with the CDs. More
often however, distfiles can become obsolete by the time the CDs are
actually reaching customers. But the distfiles on the CDs and the
Makefiles in the /usr/ports directories should be in sync.

> Can these be installed from the install program?

Ports are typically added by changing to the port's directory in
/usr/ports and then just typing 'make install'. You will need to do
this as super-user. See ports(7).

> When you
> first boot up, what wm is installed by default the first time you login?

This is not really directly related to FreeBSD, but rather to what
XFree86 uses as a default window manager. It is twm(1).

> Can you tell me of some laptops you know work with FreeBSD 3.2?

I would expect just about any Intel-based laptop would 'work' just
fine... However, people often have trouble with the exotic video cards
and have trouble getting X to run. Also, PCMIA cards are a known sore
point, so you might have trouble getting all of your peripherial
devices to work.

Sorry, I've never found laptops to useful and have no experience
using them with FreeBSD. I have computers at the office and a computer
at home, and with a dedicated Internet connection at both locations, I
can freely exchange info between them all.