Date:      Sat, 2 Dec 1995 15:42:46 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Dyson <dyson>
To:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, alexandr@louie.udel.edu, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help!!!!

> My problem with this whole thing is that the "async 'fixes'" appear
> to be related to the problem (who knows? It might be tickling a
> dormant compiler bug, etc.), and are really not rationally justified
> except as a method of putting some bogus Linux benchmarks to rest.

Also, the async code does run faster for massive file create/delete
operations.  It DOES have a real purpose.  (Filesystem restores run
much much much faster as an very practical example.)

> They were (and remain) reactive to what I believe to be a non-problem,
> at best, and they are circumstantially related to a large number of
> problems that didn't exist prior to their commit date, at worst.

Why then even make an association (you, representing an "expert" opinion),
when the cause/effect is not clear -- in fact *very* unclear.  All I ask
is that if you make such statements, please make sure that you are not
causing undue pressure or work in a fruitless direction.  If and when
I describe what is happening -- it will be accurate.  If you make such
an association, I would hope that you would do the same!!!

John
dyson@freebsd.org