Date:      Fri, 10 Dec 1999 22:23:41 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        Ade Lovett <ade@lovett.com>
Cc:        will andrews <andrews@technologist.com>, "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@CA.Sandia.GOV>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Creating a port:  Manpage question

On Fri, 10 Dec 1999, Ade Lovett wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 10, 1999 at 03:55:35PM -0500, will andrews wrote:
> > On 10-Dec-99 Bruce A. Mah wrote:
> > > Quick question, whose answer I couldn't find in the handbook:
> > >
> > > When creating a port, what's the right procedure for installing a
> > > *formatted* manpage?
> > >
> > > (The problem I have is that the original distfile doesn't supply troff
> > > source for the manpage, just the nroff output.)
> >
> > Sounds like you just need a nroff->troff converter then INSTALL_MAN
> > manpage and use MANX where X = section of manpage.
>
> Hmm.  I read the question as though the port has something that we'd
>
> In which case, to really DTRT, bsd.port.mk would have to be patched
> to add CATx functionality alongside the existing MANx stuff, and the
> port Makefile would then simply become, eg:
>
> 	CAT1= foo.1
>
> In the meantime, I'd just treat the formatted manpage as just another
> file (ie: not special like source manpages), and add them in to pkg/PLIST.

with the understanding, I hope, that they get installed into man/catn, and
not man/mann.  Stuff found in the cat directories isn't run through nroff
automatically.

Chuck Robey                | Interests include C programming, Electronics,
213 Lakeside Dr. Apt. T-1  | communications, and signal processing.
Greenbelt, MD 20770        | I run picnic.mat.net: FreeBSD-current(i386) and
(301) 220-2114             |       jaunt.mat.net : FreeBSD-current(Alpha)