Date:      Sun, 02 Jun 2002 10:33:33 -0600
From:      Chris Fedde <chris@fedde.littleton.co.us>
To:        Patrick Thomas <root@utility.clubscholarship.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: use of fsck -y

On Sun, 2 Jun 2002 07:15:08 -0700 (PDT)  Patrick Thomas wrote:
 +------------------
 | >    vnconfig /dev/vn0 /prisons/1a
 | >    mount /dev/vn0c /mnt/point
 | >    if [ $? != 0 ]
 | >    then
 | >	    fsck -y /dev/vn0
 | > 	    mount /dev/vn0c /mnt/point
 | > 	    if [ $? != 0 ]
 | > 	    then
 | > 	        echo Mount fails even after fsck. Better check this by hand
 | > 	    fi
 | >    fi
 | >    /mnt/point/apachectl start
 |
 | If I understand correctly, this does the fsck only if it comes up dirty ?
 | But skips it if it comes up clean ?
 +------------------

this does the fsck only if the mount fails.

 +------------------
 | > BTW. softupdates might also give you some performance advantages
 | > on peudo disk device filesystems.
 |
 | Will softupdates make fsck irrelevant ?  That is, is it like journalling
 | in the sense that I can cut the power and not lose anything ?  Or do I
 | still need to fsck after a crash ?

Softupdates ensures that the filesystem is always consistent on
disk.  It also reduces the number sync operations which improves
create/delete performance and read/write on small files.   A hard
crash still will not mark the file system clean so a plain mount will
fail.  I've not experimented much with force mounting unclean
softupdate enabled file systems. But I've never had a softupdate
file system fail fsck -p.

--
    Chris Fedde