Date:      Wed, 27 Dec 2017 09:26:15 +1100
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter@rulingia.com>
To:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Button-less mice??!?

--+SfteS7bOf3dGlBC

On 2017-Dec-26 11:17:08 -0800, David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org> wrote:
>One of those that looked comparable to the M4800 is the 5520... and then
>I noticed that for a built-in "pointing device," it has a trackpad
>(which is fine)... but there are no (separate) mouse buttons: apparently
>there are regions of the trackpad, such that the driver is supposed it
>interpret tapping in the specified region as a press.release of a
>certain mouse button

I don't know the 5520 so I can't talk from personal experience but I
believe the 5520 has a Synaptics trackpad so it (including the various
wheel and button emulation functionality) should be supported by
x11-drivers/xf86-input-synaptics and the various Synaptics management
utilities.

There are also typically physical microswitches under the trackpad -
these should trigger normal mouse button events independent of the
trackpad support.

>Do we support that?  (I only run FreeBSD on the laptop, so I don't
>really care what other OSs do or fail to do.)

The X.org codebase is common across BSD/Linux so behaviour elsewhere is
a reasonably good guide to behaviour on FreeBSD.

--=20
Peter Jeremy

--+SfteS7bOf3dGlBC

--+SfteS7bOf3dGlBC--