Date:      Mon, 30 May 2022 05:15:54 -0700
From:      David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
To:        Toomas Soome <tsoome@me.com>, current@freebsd.org, Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
Subject:   Re: Loader can't find /boot/ua/loader.lua on UFS after main-n255828-18054d0220c

--72uTwMwN1wRLPBu4

On Mon, May 30, 2022 at 03:26:45AM -0700, David Wolfskill wrote:
> On Mon, May 30, 2022 at 08:40:10AM +0300, Toomas Soome wrote:
> > ...=20
> > Does loader_4th have same issue?
>=20
> I don't know; I hadn't tried it.  I will do so later today & report
> back.

After updating sources from main-n255867-245b056556e to
main-n255871-7468332f551, the behavior with the Lua loader was the same:
it whined that it couldn't find /boot/lua/loader.lua, claiming "No such
file or directory" and it had not loaded anything.

I rebooted from one of the stabe/* slices and removed "loader"
and "zfsloader," then made them (hard) links to loader_4th.

On reboot, the (Forth) loader whined that it couldn't load "kernel" --
and as was the case with the Lua loader, it had not loaded anything.

So while the messages were a little different, the aspect of the
behavior that the loader was unable to load anything -- apparently
because it was unable to find anything to load -- remains quite similar,
AFAICT.

I had (as mentioned yesterday) run a manual "fsck" on the head / and
/usr file systems.  fsck asked me if I wanted to "ADD SUPERBLOCK
CHECK-HASH PROTECTION"; after a bit of dithering on my part, I told it
"yes."

I should also mention that the file systems are UFS+SU -- and not
(e.g.), UFS+SUJ.

Finally, I remind folks that I am not seeing this at all on the laptops
-- they Just Work (as usual).

Thanks again for spending time on this!

Peace,
david
--=20
David H. Wolfskill                              david@catwhisker.org
"Putin is a paranoid dictator.  Putin must go. He started a senseless war
and is leading Russia into a ditch." - Egor Polyakov & Alexandra Miroshniko=
va

See https://www.catwhisker.org/~david/publickey.gpg for my public key.

--72uTwMwN1wRLPBu4

--72uTwMwN1wRLPBu4--