Date:      Wed, 21 May 2008 12:49:31 +0200
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.org>
To:        "Glen Barber" <glen.j.barber@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-user-groups@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Information on starting a BSD User Group

"Glen Barber" wrote:
> Hello, list.
>
> I am working with a few others to coordinate a BSD User Group near the
> Philadelphia, Pennsylvania area, hopefully including northeast Maryland,
> Delaware, and New Jersey.  Although I won't be relocating to the area for
> approximately a month or so, I was hoping to get information, or a push in
> the right direction, to what some BUGs have done to attract attention, gain
> members, etc.
>
> I have already searched for some LUGs in the area mentioned above, and
> unfortunately have only found one, which was rather discouraging.  Any
> information would be greatly appreciated.

I & others created one some years back. Still running:
	http://www.berklix.org/bim/

Like another club too, if you meet once a month, after a while it
gets less interesting & less come, then you do a presentation of
some tech & more come for a while, etc.  That dynamic's probably
similar to a Linux, an MS or even an Electronic engineers club.

Here we vary the location each time, so its not so boring, ( a
previous BSD group in this city died long ago after always meeting
at the same place) Some disliked varying etc & formed a splinter
group.  We still vote where we meet. In Berkeley Calif. they dont
vote, but have a simple rule of whoever announces first & assertively.
Some clubs in USA cover several towns, so they use a different town
each time.  One in UK uses same pub every month.

Quiet bright venues suit us: Listening to a soft spoken tech.  3
seats along who is maybe speaking or listening in a foreign language,
we don't appreciate music & candle dark places - we need to read
the sketch on back of an envelope.

Julian
--
Julian Stacey: BSDUnixLinux C Prog Admin SysEng Consult Munich www.berklix.com
	Mail just Ascii plain text.  HTML & Base64 text are spam.