Date:      Tue, 11 Jan 2000 12:25:46 +0100
From:      Marc van Kempen <marc@bowtie.nl>
To:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
Cc:        Martin Welk <mw@theatre.sax.de>, Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE>, freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG, brian@hak.lan.Awfulhak.org
Subject:   Re: one slight glitch in i4bispp

> ppp(8) :-)
>
> If you enable -nat and -auto, ppp will keep the interface addresses
> previously assigned and NAT them for you.  This means that the
> ``first connection'' will end up being NAT'd from the start (it's
> bound to the old address but the peer has only ever seen the new
> address).

I'm a bit puzzled as to how this would work, what you say is this:

You telnet from your machine to telnet.domain.com:

telnet.domain.com <----> [dynamic ip] -- PPP,NAT -- [first ipnr] <---> telnet

So the tcp packet going from my machine to telnet.domain.com has as it's
source address the dynamic IP address, as NAT'ed by PPP, the first ipnr
is only seen on my machine.

But when the connection times out and I get another dynamic IP nr, how
is my tcp connection going to survive, isn't the socket on telnet.domain.com
bound to my old (dynamic) ip nr?

Regards,
Marc.

Marc van Kempen                 BowTie Technology
Email: marc@bowtie.nl            WWW & Databases
tel. +31 40 2 43 20 65
fax. +31 40 2 44 21 86         http://www.bowtie.nl