Date:      Wed, 29 Sep 1999 00:12:10 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Blake Swensen <blake@pyramus.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   AMD--Just Not getting it

Been trying to get AMD to work and just am not getting the whole map
thing.

Have a server (phil) who is exporting /home to my amd client (stella). I
would like the user home directories on phil:/home to be auto-mounted on
stella:/usr/home (for obvious reasons, since I have NIS running).

I have looked at the amd guide (at http://kludge.psc.edu/amd/), searched
the archives at freebsd.org (there is very little information in the FAQ
or the handbook), and scoured the internet for a simple, step by step
guide to amd. I seem to get either too much information or too little
information to make sense of how the amd paradigm works.... here is my
read, now tell me why I am wrong.

The client (stella in this case) should have a top level mount point for
volumes on the server (phil in this case) which default is /a (I have
chosen to make it /mnt).  So if amd is running correctly it should
create stella:/mnt/phil/home, and symlink this to stella:/usr/home. So
the map (/etc/amd.home) for this mount should look like:

/defaults
type:=host;opts:=rw,grpid,resvport,vers=2,proto=udp,nosuid,nodev
usr/home        fs:=${autodir}/${rhost}/home;rhost:=phil;rfs:/home

My amd.conf looks pretty straight-forward and the entry for this mount
point looks like:
[ /usr/home ]
map_name =  /etc/amd.home
map_options = cache:=all
map_type = file
search_path =  /etc:/var/yp
mount_type =  nfs
browsable_dirs = yes

However, what I get here is a mount of stella:/usr/home on
stella:/usr/home !

Are there any amd users out there who are willing to slap me and set me
straight?

Peace,
Blake