Date:      Tue, 30 Jul 2002 16:31:58 +0200
From:      "Karel J. Bosschaart" <karelj@wop21.wop.wtb.tue.nl>
To:        dmk <gh@over-yonder.net>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3dfx Voodoo II on -CURRENT

On Sun, Jul 28, 2002 at 08:27:12AM -0500, dmk wrote:

> I am trying to get a 3dfx Voodoo II running on -CURRENT.
>
> The test program /usr/compat/linux/usr/local/glide/bin/test3Dfx
> fails with a segmentation fault (SIG 11).
>
> (I get a core dump, but am unable to get a backtrace.)
>
> I have installed from ports:
> graphics/linux_glide
>     linux_glide-2.4

This port is for Voodoo I, not II.

> graphics/linux_glx
>     linux_glx-991127

Also this port is irrelevant for the Voodoo II as it concerns Utah-glx,
meant to run on XFree86-3. The Voodoo II only uses the appropriate Glide
version.

> I have installed the Glide driver RPM:
> Glide_V2-2.53-6.i386.rpm

That's the correct one :-). Assuming you have installed it within
/compat/linux don't forget to use /compat/linux/sbin/ldconfig to update the
linux library cache.

> I loaded the 3dfx.ko kernel module and got:
> tdfx0: <3DFX Voodoo II 3D Accelerator> mem 0xe2000000-0xe2ffffff at device 11.0 on pci0

Looks OK. Are the permissions on the /dev/3dfx device suitable? Also, I think
that the test program wants to have access to the X session, so you might try
a "xhost +" to be sure.

Also, note that AFAIK the /dev/3dfx device does not work with a Voodoo II
in SLI configuration (2 cards connected with SLI cable) - you can workaround
by not using this device (at least it worked for me).

> `uname -a`:
> FreeBSD leviathan 5.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 5.0-CURRENT #0: Mon Feb  4 22:22:10 CST 2002     root@leviathan:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/LEVIATHAN  i386

I mostly played around with Voodoo II on -stable, patched because it
doesn't have the /dev/3dfx device (yet?). It's a while ago, but it usually
worked fine for me. I gave it a try yesterday night, but failed probably
because I don't have a patched linux module at the moment and got
complaints about unimplemented syscalls. Also, I had to force the Glide rpm
installation because it complained about conflicting files in
XFree86-4-libraries. I removed those files assuming I won't need them.

I'll give it another try (also on -current) and let you know.

Karel.