Date:      Wed, 2 Feb 2000 08:22:52 -0700
From:      Damien Tougas <damien@tougas.net>
To:        Jamie Bowden <ragnar@sysabend.org>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GUIs are flawed

On Wed, Feb 02, 2000 at 06:53:37AM -0800, Jamie Bowden wrote:
> So basically you want a Lego (TM) style GUI.  Programs are obects with
> their own subset of objects (CLI options) that can be pieced together and
> then assembled into a greater whole (effectively pipes and redirects).
> Yes it could be done, and yes it could match CLI functionality and power
> without being the current mess of obfuscated nested menus.  It would still
> be slower to use, though I personally don't think that would be a huge
> factor.

Thats exactly what I was thinking. It wouldn't have to be slower to use,
you could set up pre-defined Lego (TM) templates or containers that would
work for most users basic tasks, and allow users to define their own
templates and save them for future use. Somthing like this has a lot of
features that would also be of benefit to an open source community.
The programs would essentially be broken down into small managable chunks
making it easy for improvement and maintenance, and also allow the user
to be able to have finer grained control over their work environment.

--
Damien Tougas, P.Eng.
Phone: (780)434-5889