Date:      Thu, 4 Aug 2022 01:37:24 +0200
From:      Michael Gmelin <grembo@freebsd.org>
To:        Tatsuki Makino <tatsuki_makino@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: poudriere overlay: passing down git ENV variables (problem: self signed certificates)

> On 4. Aug 2022, at 01:32, Tatsuki Makino <tatsuki_makino@hotmail.com> wrot=
e:
>=20
> =EF=BB=BFI looked into this wondering why the poudriere is not blocking th=
e propagation of the value, but the poudriere is not being affected by the v=
alue.
> Then, I think that is the reason why we are not getting the results we nee=
d :)
>=20
> Of course, a better solution would be to set up the verification so that i=
t does not need to be bypassed.
>=20
> Regards

The requester might also use a letsencrypt issued cert (using dns01 in case t=
he site it isn=E2=80=99t available publicly).

In theory, a self-signed cert can be more secure if you pin it, but since th=
eir approach was ignoring cert verification completely, this level of securi=
ty probably isn=E2=80=99t what they were going for.

Cheers
Michael

> .
>=20
> Michael Gmelin wrote on 2022/08/04 07:58:
>>> Thanks, I simply copy and pasted what the requester used (assuming they a=
lready tested that exact value outside of poudriere), since my response was a=
bout the mechanics of how to get that variable in and not its name.
>>>=20
>> p.s. I also agree that adding the self signed cert to the trust bundle is=
 preferable to just not checking ssl at all. Git allows configuring these se=
tting per domain by the way. I learned today that there is a service called b=
adssl.com, which provides a couple of subdomains to simulate various error s=
cenarios, which is quite useful when testing.