Date:      Fri, 25 Oct 1996 19:49:54 +0500
From:      A JOSEPH KOSHY <koshy@india.hp.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Ping attacks: NT vs FreeBSD

Hi,

You may be pleased to note that FreeBSD is listed as on of the OS'es
safe from the Ping o' Death bug.

See:	http://www.sophist.demon.co.uk/ping/

This attack (basically ping'ing with an illegal IP packet size) can
bring down many Unix'en including Linux and NetBSD 1.1.  NT seems to
survive as does Windows-95.

I noticed however that two freebsd machines running `ping -f' onto an
NT 3.51 box can effectively stop all TCP/IP activity on the NT machine
--- denial of service if you may.  The NT machine was on a P6/150, 32MB,
unknown ethernet card; the FreeBSD boxes were P5-100s with HP-PC Lan and PCI
D-Link cards respectively.

I'm intrigued by this behaviour.  Is this common or is it just a quirk of
this specific NT configuration?  Has anyone seem similar behaviour under
NT 4.0?  Any ideas as to why the denial of service behaviour could be
occurring?

Koshy