Date:      Thu, 22 Apr 1999 17:02:42 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Adam Ulmer <ulmer@ulmer.iserver.net>
To:        iratus@home.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Security

A firewall is not needed if you harden the machine -- don't run services
you don't need, don't run services that have know overflows, don't run
services that are not properly configured, and use unique passwords that
cannot be found in a dictionary.  Additionally, use ssh/slogin and scp
instead of telnet/rsh and ftp.  If you are paranoid, use tcp-wrappers,
disable remote root logins, etc.  A firewall is NOT automatic protection.
If you have machines that you cannot harden (ie: anything running
software from that vile company in Redmond, Washington), you may opt for a
firewall, but you must harden it, too.

Adam