Date:      Wed, 31 Aug 2011 17:07:45 +0200
From:      Pietro Cerutti <gahr@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Beech Rintoul <beech@freebsd.org>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        Matthias Andree <matthias.andree@gmx.de>, Ted Hatfield <ted@io-tx.com>
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/mail/procmail Makefile

--c7hkjup166d4FzgN

On 2011-Aug-30, 13:45, Beech Rintoul wrote:
> On Tuesday 30 August 2011 11:01:18 Ted Hatfield wrote:
> > >=20
> > > Well... is _is_ policy and meant as such.  We make decisions for ports
> > > users all the time, and this is no exception.
> >=20
> > If procmail has no ongoing security issues and it compiles and installs
> > with no problems what's the reasoning behind removing it from the ports
> > tree?
> >=20
> > As far as I can see the reasoning advocated at this time is that
> > procmail hasn't been in active development since 2001.  Shouldn't that
> > be seen as a sign of stability.
> >=20
> > I'm not a software developer so maybe I'm missing something obvious
> > about this situation.  Feel free to educate/convice me that I should
> > make the effort to switch from procmail to maildrop.
> >=20
> > I've been using procmail now for 16 years and I'm very happy with it's
> > performance.  Moving to maildrop would be a significant amount of effort
> > for both me and my users.
> >=20
> > Ted Hatfield
>=20
> I second that, I also have it installed in several places and haven't had=
 any=20
> problems. I don't want to have to move to another app just because someon=
e=20
> feels like deprecating a mature port. I think the old addage "if it ain't=
=20
> broke" applies here.

+1 here!

Please stop this deprecation madness and stop thinking that our users
are a bunch of stupids. I use procmail daily and I don't have any
problems with it.

If we want to deprecate ports basing on the potential damage caused by
their misuse, I'd start with everything prefixed with lang/ or devel/.

--=20
Pietro Cerutti
The FreeBSD Project
gahr@FreeBSD.org