Date:      Thu, 30 Sep 1999 10:34:40 +0200
From:      Eric Noulard <noulard@adulis.fr>
To:        List aic7xxx <aic7xxx@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        gregory.hosler@eno.ericsson.se
Subject:   Re: fast drives.

On Thu, Sep 30, 1999 at 03:25:27PM +0800, Gregory Hosler wrote:

> In as much as I tend to be more SCSI competent than most of my peers, I
> frankly admit I feel very incompetent as regards to some scsi issues.

	You may find valuable informations in the SCSI FAQ:

	http://www.scsifaq.org/gary/scsifaq.html

> My 2 discs:
>
> I have the following:
>
>          (scsi0:0:0:0) Synchronous at 40.0 Mbyte/sec, offset 15.
>            Vendor: IBM       Model: DDRS-39130D       Rev: DC1B
>            Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 02
>          Detected scsi disk sda at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
>
>          (scsi0:0:5:0) Synchronous at 40.0 Mbyte/sec, offset 15.
>            Vendor: SEAGATE   Model: ST19101W          Rev: 0011
>            Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 02
>          Detected scsi disk sdb at scsi0, channel 0, id 5, lun 0

	as I already posted it my "IBM DDRS-39130D" work at 80.0 Mbyte/sec,
I mean aic7xxx driver says that, I did not make any test to verify it's true.
I have no SCSI problem in my log.

	To answer to Gregory,  on "how did I manage to make aic7xxx" driver
to recognize the drive at 80.0 MBytes I would say nothing special:

	- plug the drive in the Ultra2-Wide SCSI connector of my ASUS P2B-DS
          (AIC-7890 chip)

        - the ribbon used to connect the IBM drive is the one given
          with the motherboard and is LVD terminated (written on the cable)

	- plug other SCSI peripheral (CD-ROM and CD-RW) on the narrow
          SCSI interface of the card.

	- terminate the SCSI narrow part of the bus with active terminator.
          (my CD-ROM is internal and CD-RW is external so the terminator
           is on the external box but it should'nt make any difference)

	- enable wide, ultra ... negotiation in the Adaptec BIOS
          put the maximum syncrate at the maximum value in Adaptec BIOS
          for all devices.

	- boot (I just put append = "aic7xxx=tag_info:{{,,16}}" in lilo.conf
                in order to modify the queue depth)

> The interface is an motherboard AIC-7896.

	May be it's the real difference mine is AIC-7890, don't
really know what's the differences between those 2.

> more ignorant questions:
>
> 1) As I am learning, I am now (only now) guessing that it might not be a
>    good idea to combine LVD and SE on the same scsi bus.
>    is this true ?

	Don't really know, in my case I don't really know HOW my motherboard
handled all its different interfaces so ...

> 2) are there any special cabling / termination issues with respect to LVD
>    that are different from SE scsi ?

	Yes there is. see SCSI FAQ: What is LVD?
	http://www.scsifaq.org/gary/scsifaq.html#Generic099

	SE  = Single Ended
	LVD = Low Voltage Differential.

> 3) How do I get my AIC to recognoze the IBM at 80 Mbs transfer rates ?
>    (do I need to move the Seagate to a different scsi bus ?)

	You may try this your motherboard should have a separate
interface for Ultra-Wide and Ultra2-Wide devices, right?

	Put the IBM drive on the Ultra2-Wide interface and
put an LVD terminator just after the drive (at the end of the ribbon
you use to connect the drive)

	Put you Seagate drive on the Ultra-Wide interface and
terminate this part of the bus with active wide terminator
(may be there is a switch on the drive to do this if you don't
 have a terminator)

> I am really discouraged, and at the point of seriously contemplating
> switching adapter cards, the only thing is that the AIC is on the mother
> board, and is one of the reasons I bought this particular mb.

	I'm not an SCSI expert but I think your problem
comes from the mixing of SE and LVD drive your LVD drive
should be LVD terminated and separate from the other scsi devices.

	Hope this helps
--
            Eric Noulard