Date:      Mon, 31 Dec 2012 15:59:02 -0600
From:      Stephen Montgomery-Smith <stephen@missouri.edu>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Does / Is anyone maintaining CVS for FreeBSD?

On 12/31/2012 03:40 PM, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> On 12/31/12 12:40 PM, Chris H wrote:
>> | I'm sorry, but the exporter scripts were always a stopgap.
>> That's what I was afraid I would hear. Recently, I was informed by
>> SF.NET,
>> that my account would be upgraded, and all the projects I have, which all
>> use CVS, would be "upgraded" to SVN (which renders them useless). When I
>> asked why, they told me because CVS was so old. To which I stated:
>> Indeed, CVS is _quite_ old, and so is TCP/IP. Yet no one can seem live
>> without it.
>> Sigh...
>> IM(NS)HO; SVN is an inferior RCS created so Windows users wouldn't feel
>> left out.
>> Are there _any_ CVS servers/trunks/tree's left? If so, how _current_ are
>> they?
>>
>> Thanks again for taking the time to reply, Chris.
>>
>> All the best.
>>
> You still really haven't come forward with a concrete reason besides "my
> workflow" and "my scripts".
>
> Svn is a *near* drop in replacement for CVS.
>
> If instead of complaining and taking up bandwidth on the lists about old
> tech, you instead asked about how to move your archaic setup forward
> then someone would likely step forward and lend you a hand.
>
> The project's goal is to support a large user base and the developers in
> a manner that works with our resources.  Supporting CVS (a 2nd gen VCS)
> while we have been on a 3rd gen (svn) and are finally looking into a 4th
> gen (git) is just unfair.
>
> If you took a few minutes you'd fine the svn command set intuitive and a
> simple switch over from CVS.

The reason I asked the original question about docs disappearing from
cvs is because I maintain the CTM delivery system.  I am in the process
of switching CTM from cvs to svn, and IM(NS)HO svn is much, much nicer
than cvs or cvsup.  I am really looking forward to not having to deal
with cvs any more.

Give svn a try.  My guess is that you will find it easier to work with
than you expect.

Stephen