Date:      Tue, 20 Mar 2001 10:52:14 +0000
From:      Marc Rogers <marcr@shady.org>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Odd event -- possible security hole or DoS?

You mentioned that the box was a popmail server? what popmail system, and was
it running through in inetd? In my past I had to maintain some fairly heavy load
2.2.8 boxes with qualcomms qpopper running from inetd, and i saw some very similar
behaviour. In the end this was why I eventualy moved that particular client away
from running stuff out of inetd and towards using tcpserver.

Without seeing process logs and in depth netstat output I suspect that it will be
impossible for anyone to absolutely quantify this.

Perhaps the kid was using octopus.c

in the future I would suggest that you install something like snort and or iplog. Keep
lsof handy too. Then if you really want to sit and wait for it to happen, you can give
us all some meaty logs to work with :)

I would suggest not worrying about it though and just upgrading that system to 4.2-STABLE
before the kid (if it wasnt just a naturally occurring inetd cockup) finds some old
exploits and roots you.

Marc Rogers
Head of Network Operations & Security
EDC Group