Date:      Tue, 27 Jun 2000 10:26:10 -0500
From:      Glenn Johnson <gjohnson@nola.srrc.usda.gov>
To:        Dion E Viglione <dionv@spots.ab.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SOLARIS VS FreeBSD

On Tue, Jun 27, 2000 at 12:51:21AM -0600, Dion E Viglione wrote:

> Solaris 8 is now "open" and free.  Sun told me that it is the superior
> UNIX of all UNICES--to end all UNICES! (--to that effect)

Of course they told you that, they are trying to sell you their product.

> And--
> Solaris' kernel algorithm design is suppose to be better than BSD's.

I am sure this is true to some extent, possibly with thread support, but
I would think that any advantage Solaris has will disappear over time as
the BSDs and Linux catch up. I would also bet that there are areas where
the Solaris kernel is inferior.

> I want to learn UNIX, but computer scientists predict Linux will
> gradually fade away, leaving BSD;

Where did you hear/read this? I know there is concern that Linux will
become fractured as more and more big companies get involved and do
their own thing, like Corel. I certainly do not think it will fade away.

> but now Solaris is free--won't that "crush" BSD?

No.

>  Won't everyone flock to Solaris?

No.

>  Should I now uninstall my OpenBSD?

That is up to you. I would say No, not because of Solaris.

--
Glenn Johnson
USDA, ARS, SRRC			 Phone: (504) 286-4252