Date:      Fri, 10 Apr 2020 00:04:39 +0200
From:      Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd@quip.cz>
To:        Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>, Ed Maste <emaste@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Ars Technica article on FreeBSD new user experience

Rick Macklem wrote on 2020/04/09 23:39:
> Ed Maste <emaste@freebsd.org> wrote:
>> Jim Salter has an article in Ars Technica discussing his experience
>> with FreeBSD 12.1 as a desktop:
>> https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/04/not-actually-linux-distro-review-freebsd-12-1-release/
>>
>> There are some points in there that might involve misunderstanding,
>> but there are also a number of real issues raised about the experience
>> a new (or newish) desktop FreeBSD user will have. It will be a good
>> idea for us to examine these, and offer advice or corrections if
>> appropriate, and otherwise look how we can improve the FreeBSD
>> experience for new users.
> Since this is a public mailing list, I'll repost here...
>
> One thought here that I'll throw out (I have no idea if others have suggested
> this before)…
> What about creating a separate release for desktops/laptops that installs
> X Windows etc from a simple installer "out of the box"?
> --> To keep it simple, don't try to support all hardware, just stuff that is widely
>        available and already well supported by the drivers in FreeBSD.
>        Obviously amd64 only plus a few widely available display chip sets that work
>        well, etc and so on...
>
> If it doesn't support the hardware someone has, then they can go the regular
> release/install route. (It would be nice to maintain an up to date list of what
> hardware it supports, but it might be easier to just have it start up live CD
> style and then see if the hardware it needs is there.
> --> Sorry, can't do this display chipset to that sound chip or...

There has been some attempt to create simple script to setup desktop /
workstation with Xorg
https://euroquis.nl/freebsd/2019/08/12/instant-workstation.html
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/adriaandegroot/FreeBSDTools/master/bin/instant-workstation

The biggest problem is graphic driver detection.

If something like this can be available on newly installed machines then
any new user can run just the one command to get Xorg up and running
with KDE / GNOME / Xfce / Mate...

Kind regards
Miroslav Lachman