Date:      Mon, 5 Aug 2002 16:12:11 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>
To:        John Mills <john.m.mills@alum.mit.edu>
Cc:        Marc Schneiders <marc@schneiders.org>, Marty Landman <marty@face2interface.com>, FreeBSD LIST <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: I KINDLY NEED YOUR ASSISTANCE

On Mon, 5 Aug 2002, John Mills wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Aug 2002, Marc Schneiders wrote:
> > "Some Tips To Help You Avoid These Frauds:
> > 1. If you receive a letter from Nigeria asking you to send personal
> > or banking information, do not reply in any manner. Send the letter
> > to the U.S. Secret Service or the FBI."
> > Has anyone got the proper FBI email address to forward NEED ASSISTENCE emails to?
> The security officer at a previous employer (last year - 2001) did indeed
> have the e-mail for some 'stuck-ee' to receive these. I understood it was
> actaully someone in the US Dept.of State, not the FBI. Lately I've quit
> bothering to pass them along, as I get several of these daily.
>
> I guess your local FBI office might have a designated person to field this
> trash, but I can't think of any reason to burden them with it.
>  - John Mills

uce@ftc.gov (unsolicited commercial email) or check out a FREE service such
as www.spamcop.net or www.mail-abuse.org

I can empathize with your lament about receiving so many spams daily, and
while I report spams as often as possible (to SpamCop), in the past on two
occasions I had to force myself to delete a bulk folder of 900+ spams I'd
been holding on to wondering what to do with them.  When I receive spams at
my free Yahoo.Com email address, I simply delete them, which does nothing
positive in the war on spam.

I definitely do not open them because as most techies are aware, HTML
formatted spams can contain calls to cgi or asp scripts that are unique and
can verify that your email address is valid (effectively reporting back to
the sender that you opened the message)!

--
Peter Leftwich
President & Founder