Date:      Thu, 22 Feb 2001 09:25:36 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        dot@dotat.at (Tony Finch)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert), freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Netscape story

> >So to start an Open Source project requires some thought, and
> >it requires a license that's not aggregious, and is at least
>
> "egregious"

Well, there went my egregious spelling error coupon.  8-).

> >commercial utilization (not use) neutral, and it requires a
> >central point for the community to communicate and grow up
> >around (technically: a Schelling point).
>
> Actually that's a misuse of the term. Schelling was talking about
> zero-sum games in which communication between the players is either
> impossible or unproductive. In this situation a player acheives the
> best outcome by aiming for the "Schelling point" which is a
> negotiating position that all the players can agree on. In some games
> this implies that there is lots of mindshare associated with that
> position; for example when choosing a programming language in which to
> implement a system, Java might be the Schelling point because
> management have heard of it and HR see a lot of CVs that mention it.
> However it isn't right to refer to something with a lot of mindshare
> as a Schelling point when there isn't the background implication of
> some kind of negotiation over which option to choose.

I was trying to use it to describe the mutually arrived at
community, which I meant in terms of a communications forum,
not the mindshare that competing ideas in that forum can grab.

In the technical sense, I was saying that you can't pick your
developers, communicate only to them, and have only them show
up at the party.  Project participation is self selecting.

When I think of Schelling points first, then the examples that
come to mind first is the "README" file; there was no convention
in which communication between companies and customers both
decided that the file with important last minute things in it
would be named "README"; it just sort of emerged.

Hope that clears up what I meant...

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---