Date:      Tue, 19 Mar 2002 04:00:33 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
To:        W Alexander Hagen <aligzanduh@yahoo.com>
Cc:        Greg Black <gjb@gbch.net>, Josef Karthauser <joe@tao.org.uk>, <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Freebsd REL_ENG 4.3 p28 freezes every 30 minutes.

On Mon, 18 Mar 2002, W Alexander Hagen wrote:

>  How do I find out how to run the box so it outputs the errant code line
> when it crashes ? Is there a good faq ?

Check out:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/developers-handbook/kerneldebug.html

Part 16.4, "On-Line Kernel Debugging Using DDB" is what you should
probably focus on.

Once you compile DDB into the kernel, it should throw you into DDB
whenever a system crash occurs.  If the system seems to crash, but does
not throw you into DDB, you can then try ctrl-alt-esc to manually enter
it.  In either case, you can then run "trace" to get a backtrace of where
the problem occured.  From that, we should be able to help you.

If you can't even break into DDB whenever your computer crashes, then
something is seriously wrong, _probably_ bad hardware of some sort.

Mike "Silby" Silbersack