Date:      Tue, 14 Apr 1998 13:31:34 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        Antonio Bemfica <bemfica@militzer.me.tuns.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how do I mount a DOS ZIP disk?

Doug White:
 |Antonio Bemfica:
 |
 |> How do I mount a DOS (FAT16) ZIP disk? I have no problems with ZIP disks
 |> with the FreeBSD filesystem - "mount /dev/sd0 /zip" does it fine, but with
 |> DOS formatted disks,
 |>
 |> 	"mount_msdos /dev/sd0 /zip"
 |> or
 |> 	"mount -t msdos /dev/sd0 /zip"
 |>
 |> result in a
 |>
 |> 	"mount_msdos: /dev/sd0: Invalid argument" error
 |
 |Try
 |
 |mount -t msdos /dev/sd0s1c /mnt

By default, DOS ZIP disks come formatted with slice 4 designated the
full-disk DOS slice.  So likely what you want is:

        mount -t msdos /dev/sd0s4 /mnt

Of course you can re-fdisk and format them any which way you want.

I tend to prefer putting my UFSs on my UFS ZIPs in slice 1, and leaving the
DOS FAT FSs in slice 4.  Makes them easy to distinguish.  My "mountzip"
script just tries to mount both slices, and succeeds on the correct one.

Randall